Thursday, July 1, 2010

Peek, Peak, and Pique

Do you ever get confused about which spelling of a word you need? The English language is full of words that are pronounced the same but have different meanings. I always get confused between "peek" and "peak." Don't ask me why. So before posting the "sneak peek" of my novel on Tuesday, I looked it up to make sure I had the right spelling. Of course, I didn't. Turns out, I am not the only person with this problem. In fact, there is confusion between the words "peek," "peak," and "pique." So here is a quick rundown of the meanings for each:

Peek means a quick glance as in "peek through the window." A synonym is "peep."

Peak has a few meanings but in general refers to the highest point of something like a mountain.

Pique is all about emotion, from irritation to curiosity. For example, to "pique someone's interest."

What words do you tend to confuse?
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails