Monday, July 12, 2010

My Movie Rant

This is different for me but it's on my mind so I'm just going to let it out. How do you usually feel about movies made using sources like books and TV shows? Do you generally feel happy about the results or disappointed (or worse)?

For me, it's dangerous to go from the original story, in whatever form, to the movie version. In my eyes, 9 times out of 10 they slaughter it. I understand that movies are different from books and TV shows. I have no problem that they must change certain things to make it work as a movie. What I don't understand is completely changing the storyline or characters. If you don't want to use the original material, write an original screenplay instead! Don't take a perfectly good story with perfectly good characters and destroy it!

Sigh.

It's my constant pet peeve that most movies stink anyway. Most are not well-written or executed (except for special effects and action scenes) anyway. But it's more horrifying when they're working from something decent. Despite having low expectations, I was still irritated over The Last Airbender (and still am apparently!). I love the show and the characters made it so good. But the movie went like this: Settings - perfect! Special effects - perfect! Storyline - incomplete. Characters - horrible. Shouldn't it have been the other way around? I would take well-developed characters and a complete storyline over phenomenal graphics any day.

I'll stop now before I go overboard. Let's just say, I'm getting sick of shelling out $12 for an inferior product. How about you? What's your take on moves in general or books/TV series made into movies?
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails