Tuesday, July 27, 2010

One Idea Leads to Another

I experienced the domino effect with ideas this week. I have a fantabulous short story idea and I know the trail that led to it. This is how it went:

  • I read "Change" by Greg Schwartz on A Fly in Amber the other day while surfing markets for another story. Seed planted.
  • Then I did a writing prompt with my sister ('unrequested love'). Nothing wonderful came of it, but my mind got jogged for new concepts. Seed watered.
  • That night I met a friend for dinner and she said something completely innocent about the gas stations near her new apartment. Seed sprouted.
  • Yesterday afternoon, while getting ready to go out, the concept took full form. Now I don't have just a seed, but a plant.

Now to make time this week to draft it. What trails have led to some of your stories?
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails