Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Use Your Skills

We all have an assortment of skills we've acquired from birth. Some have stuck, others may get rusty. We can't focus on everything all the time so some skills may be on the back burner right now. But have you thought about how some of those skills could help your writing or writing career? Do you make use of what you know how to do?

I say this because I had an epiphany a few weeks ago. I had been mulling over how to find a book cover designer and I'd come up with a few different approaches. I was also debating whether to hire out for the book trailer or do it myself. While driving (so good for ideas by the way), it hit me: you have a design background. Why can't you design the book cover and trailer? I'd been so focused on the writing I'd almost forgotten what other skills I had! And yes, I'm primarily a writer, but that doesn't mean I can't do anything else.

I can't tell you how empowered I felt taking matters into my own hands. I can't do everything and some things I wouldn't attempt. But a do-it-yourself attitude can be quite liberating. And no one is going to care as much about what you do as, well, you.

My question for you today is this: what skills do you put to good use on behalf of your writing career? And I don't just mean tangible skills. People skills count too.
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails