Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Book Title Announcement & Novel Sneak Peek

Today is my 100th blog post! Woohoo! As such, I decided to celebrate and do something a little different. As I've said in previous posts, I'm writing a mystery/adventure novel that's now in revision stage. So today, I'm posting an excerpt from my novel. It's still rough but I think it will give you an idea of what's to come. If you haven't before, check out this exclusive interview that I did with the main character, Imogen Bell, for the Character Interview Blogfest.

I also have an exciting announcement: my novel has a title! Yay! (Read about my misadventures in titling here.) It is now officially called DEAD LOCKED. Stay tuned for more information about my book in the days/weeks to come. For now, enjoy this short sneak peek!


Excerpt from Dead Locked

Boats gurgled by in a long line heading out of the harbor into the bay. Observers on the fishing docks yelled back and forth with the boaters. Imogen could hear car horns honking on the main street a few blocks away. The only soothing noise came from the breeze rushing across the harbor, jingling the sailboat riggings.

"This is ridiculous," Imogen said. "We need to do something about all this."

"The police and Coast Guard have their hands full," Peter said. "We just need to be patient."

"Especially now that you've told everyone there's something to find," Sebastian said. "We're here to study a shipwreck, not treasure hunt. These idiots," he waved his hand in the direction of the boats, "will wipe out whatever's left of The Freelove. You've spent years trying to find it. Why did you announce that there is more of a reason for every tourist to go meddling in our work?"

"I couldn't lie."

"You're a scientist."

"I've never asked you to believe the stories," Peter said. "But I do. And I just couldn't bring myself to say that I didn't."

Sebastian shook his head in disbelief and left. Imogen stood next to Peter, who met her gaze and smiled sadly.

"I don't mean to disappoint him," he said.

"You're not disappointing him," Imogen said. "He's just grumpy because he wants to be left alone to work. This is all a hassle to him."

"He should be left alone to work." Peter looked off into the bay. "Maybe they are just a bunch of stories." From the far off look in his eyes, Imogen didn't believe he bought that. And neither did she.
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails