Monday, August 23, 2010

A Few of My Favorite Heroines

I thought I'd skip the serious topics for today and write something fun to start off the week. I've thought a lot about heroines lately (thanks to my own) and how sometimes it seems there aren't enough of them. Along that line, I thought I'd list some of my favorite heroines from various books, movies, and TV shows.

Ripley from Aliens. I absolutely love this character. She was the perfect balance between vulnerability and invincibility. My favorite scene is when she's in the elevator getting ready for her showdown with the queen alien.

Elizabeth Bennet from Pride & Prejudice. Of course, Lizzy had to make my list! No, it's not an action/adventure/thriller story by any stretch, but I've always admired Elizabeth. She didn't scare easily and she didn't mind giving Darcy a smackdown when he needed it.

Sophie from Howl's Moving Castle. I love her spunk and take-charge attitude in tough situations. And her refusing to take Howl's crap. Which he was full of.

Daisy Duke from The Dukes of Hazzard (the show, not the movie!). Laugh if you will, but I loved Daisy from the moment I became obsessed with the series in my mid-teens. She could drag race, fly a plane, and break out of jail - all in stilettos!

Arwen from Lord of the Rings. I appreciated her quiet strength and her refusal to give up on a seemingly hopeless situation.

Kathryn Swinbrooke from mysteries by C.L. Grace. I liked this female physician's independence at a time (around the 14th century I believe) when you don't really expect it. And she could keep her wits under pressure.

This is by no means exhaustive, and I'm always on the lookout for books with strong, likable heroines.

Who are your favorites and why?


blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails