Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Naming Characters Pt. 1: Choosing a Name

I've read a lot about character naming on Twitter recently so I decided to blog about it. I love names and naming characters has always been fun for me. I'm kind of a name collector. I keep a database of names I like and several resources for naming at my fingertips.

When it comes down to choosing a name, I tend to go by my gut feeling. Often a name just feels right for that person. However, I do take some other things into consideration that may also help you name your characters.

Age - When was the character born? Certain names or styles of names come and go. Look at lists of popular names from his or her birth year.

Culture - Every culture has its own set of favorites and naming patterns. If the culture is not your own, do your research to accurately name your character.

Time Period/Genre - Different times, different names. And some genres (sci-fi and fantasy for example) cater to more unusual names or naming styles.

Pronunciation - Say the name out loud. Is it a struggle to pronounce? Will most in your audience know how to pronounce it?

The Name Palette - Look at the big picture as well as the individual you're naming. Are the names cohesive but different? It's like a color scheme. You want colors to coordinate but not necessarily match. Write out the names side-by-side. If things look too identical, consider swapping some of them out.

I keep a list of potential names for each character. Names that seem to jive, I use on a trial basis. I'll call the character by that name, write it out with different surnames, and let the character live with that name for a short time.

So where can you find names to try out in the first place? Stay tuned for part two and a long list of naming resources.

11 comments:

  1. latest jobs vacancies in dubai I have read your article which is quite good to go through with this

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really informative and very useful post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow.. Great one. You have mentioned some excellent points and love to read your articles. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and ideas. Keep writing good things and Good Luck!
    Car removal Perth

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails