Friday, April 16, 2010

Celebrating Finishing the First Draft

A little over a week ago, I finished the first draft of the first novel I'm writing for publication. My main character came to life in May 2009 and I have had quite the year of developing and plotting. So to celebrate my little victory, I went to Boston, Mass., on Wednesday with my sister and hung out on Newbury St., the prime shopping center in the city. We ate lunch at a cute bistro, did a little clothes shopping, and enjoyed the blossoming spring weather. I came home energized and ready to get back to writing!

How do you like to celebrate your victories?

Amy :)

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! That feels SO GOOD. I'm currently editing my first novel's second draft, and have been amazed at how different each step of the way feels. After reading my first draft, I decided I needed to rewrite the whole thing - that felt similar, but different, than the first draft did. Now, in editing the scenes (as opposed to completely rewriting), it's different again. I celebrate each time I finish a big milestone like that, because I keep learning so much.

    What's your next step going to be? Again, congratulations on finishing the first draft! :) Best of luck on all the other things that will go into making a completed product!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! What genre is your novel? It is true that every step of the way is unique. But I have loved every minute (even when I hated it). :)

    I'm taking a short break to work on a short story (featuring my novel's main characters), which I plan to publish here when I'm done. Then it's on to reading my first draft and working on the second. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails