Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Becoming BFFs With Your MC

It's odd to think that about a year and a half ago, I had never thought of Imogen Bell (the heroine of Dead Locked). After spending about the same amount of time writing her story, Imogen is now so ingrained in my consciousness that I'm not sure how I wrote without knowing her. And on some weird level, Imogen feels like a best friend.

So the question becomes: how did we get so close? After some thought, I've narrowed it down to three main reasons and I thought I'd share. If you're struggling to get to know your main character or aren't sure where to start developing one, here are some things to consider:

Time. Just like a real person, you need time to get to know your main character. The more you know, the easier it will be to write. So don't rush the process.

Imagination. I spent a lot of time just imagining Imogen before I ever started writing. And it definitely made it easier to translate her personality onto the page. Don't limit your character daydreaming to specific plot points either. Follow them around on an average day, and at various stages in their lives too.

Experimentation. I tried all sorts of character development techniques, which helped uncover various facets of Imogen's personality. I really love character journaling and interviewing. But I also employ regular writing exercises by inserting my characters-in-development instead of creating someone new.

How do you get to know your characters? I love trying new things so if you have a method or technique you like, please share!

On a different but related note, I just wanted to ask that if you've read Dead Locked (or "Bast & Immie"), please rate and review them on Smashwords or Amazon or wherever you bought it! I hate to ask, but keep reading that I should so there we are. Your support with both stories has been awesome and greatly appreciated!

I'm also seriously considering organizing a giveaway now that Dead Locked is out in print. If you have any suggestions along that line, leave a comment or email me!

Thanks to Tessa and Shaina for writing something based on Monday's writing prompt! I thought that was pretty cool! If you ever write anything based on one of my prompts, do let me know.
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails